Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Aurora, CO

How to Verify a Professional's License in Aurora?

Getting licensed professionals to handle your project is integral to ensuring project satisfaction. In Aurora, most professionals are licensed by one of the 38 boards and programs under the Division of Professions and Occupations of the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies. You can verify the license of a professional licensed under any of these boards by accessing the License Lookup tool provided by the Division of Professions and Occupations. On the other hand, professionals hired to carry out projects in Aurora that are related to building, altering, repairing, or demolishing a building or structure are required to obtain a local license from the city's Building Division. You can contact this division at (303) 739-7420 to find out about local licensing requirements and also to verify locally-issued licenses. Note that state-licensed building-related professionals like plumbers and electricians are also typically required to register a valid Colorado master's and contractor's license with the Building Division.

In Aurora, when executing projects relating to building and construction, hiring a licensed professional is not the only step to be taken. Certain building and public improvement permits might be required for the project and these can be obtained from the city's Building Division. To obtain a permit, check the status of a previous application, or schedule an inspection, you may call (303) 739-7420 or send an email.

Colorado Contractor License Search:

Do Aurora Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Aurora has six wards where the city's populace live. The city has a city council that serves as its legislative arm tasked with passing laws, ordinances, and regulations as well as overseeing the city's budget. Residents of the six wards elect one representative each while the Mayor and four other council persons are elected at large to complete the city council. To find out what city ward you belong to, the various neighborhoods or to obtain more information on your council representative, you may access the city's interactive maps.

While the city council's functions do not extend to the issuance of building permits, it helps determine the priority of city projects, planning, and zoning. Aurora has been touted as one of Colorado's fastest-growing cities supported by the influx of big infrastructure projects within the city. Within the city center, Parkside@City Center is a mixed-use property that has recently opened to the public in the summer of 2021 and makes available 216 apartments and over 35,000 square ft of retail space. Likewise, in line with Colorado's set target to reduce greenhouse gas emissions the Oxford Vista Campus was renovated and now uses 92% less electricity than the national average per square foot.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Aurora?

You can file unfair business complaints in Aurora for different reasons, such as deceptive, abusive, or unfair practices, fraud, or illegal activities. To file an unfair business complaint against a professional or business licensed by the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA), you may utilize the department's online services portal. Complaints may be filed under a specific business, occupation, or profession. You can track the status of your complaint if you create an account on the portal. For complaints against unlicensed businesses or professionals, you may file such complaints through the Office of the Colorado Attorney General by calling (720)508-6000. Alternatively, complaints may be filed online.

Note that neither the Office of the Attorney General nor the Department of Regulatory Agencies can institute legal actions on your behalf or force a business or an individual to resolve your complaint. After receiving your complaint, the Department of Regulatory Agencies will send a copy to the other party involved and review the complaint to decide if a breach of regulation has occurred. If it is decided that there has been a breach, the complaint may be resolved by the board or referred to the Office of Investigations. Where it is decided that your complaint has merit and there has been a violation, the board may decide to revoke or suspend the license of the offending party, issue a letter of admonition, a fine or enforce other disciplinary actions. If you do not secure the outcome you expected from the complaint process, you may institute an action against the business or professional at an Adams County Court or an Arapahoe County Court.