Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Boulder, CO

How to Verify a Professional's License in Boulder?

Hiring a licensed professional for any project generally increases your likelihood of receiving excellent service delivery. In Boulder, professionals are licensed by state agencies and city departments. The Colorado Division of Professions and Occupations (DPO) licenses and regulates professionals across more than 50 occupational categories at the state level. To verify a state-issued professional license, residents can utilize the search portal maintained by the DPO. Residents can also contact the DPO by email or at (303) 894-7800 for assistance with utilizing this search portal or for state-issued license verification inquiries. In addition to obtaining a state license, Boulder further requires that specific professionals also obtain a citywide license. To verify a citywide license, residents can contact the relevant licensing department. For example, general contractors, plumbers, and electricians operating in Boulder must obtain a citywide license from the Department of Planning and Development Services (PDS). Licenses issued by the PDS can be verified by calling (303) 441-1982 or by contacting the department via email.

While it is crucial to verify the licensing status of your desired professional, it is equally essential to ensure that permits for the project you wish to undertake are appropriately obtained. For example, building permits must be obtained from the PDS before you can begin any building, construction, or other home improvement projects within the Boulder. Questions regarding building permits can be directed to the PDS by email or at (303) 441-1982.

Colorado Contractor License Search:

Do Boulder Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The Boulder City Council is saddled with the responsibility of local governance, policy-making, and deliberations on issues that affect the well-being of city residents. The City Council comprises nine members, including the City Mayor. The city maintains an open database of communications between residents and city officials, including Council Members, and residents are encouraged to voice their public concerns always. Residents who wish to communicate with the City Council can do so by email or at (303)441-3002.

Building permits and other related permits are generally issued by the Department of Planning and Development Services and not the City Council. However, while the City Council does not issue permits, it often makes decisions on matters that pertain to public facilities and construction projects within the city. For example, in June 2021, the City Council approved changes to the city's Eviction Prevention and Rental Assistance Services program. These approved changes generally ensure financial and legal assistance for residents on the brink of eviction by their landlords. Also, in September 2021, the City Council approved the annexation of the CU South, to allow for the commencement of work on the South Boulder Creek Flood Mitigation Project.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Boulder?

The Boulder County District Attorney's Office, through its Community Protection Division (CPD), handles consumer complaints from residents of Boulder City, and residents can submit such complaints to this Division online. Alternatively, residents can fill an easy-to-print consumer complaint form and fax the form to (303) 441-4703 or mail it to:

  • Community Protection Division
  • Boulder County District Attorney's Office
  • P.O. Box 471
  • Boulder, CO 80306

Boulder Police Department also investigates unfair business complaints that include allegations of illegal or fraudulent activities by businesses or professionals within the City. Residents can contact the Police Department at (303) 441-3333 for inquiries on how to submit a police report.

Before filing an unfair business complaint, residents can attempt to settle their complaint with the relevant business or professional by utilizing the mediation services provided by the Boulder City Community Mediation and Resolution Center (CMRC). You can initiate a mediation process by filling and submitting an online request form or contacting the CMRC at (303) 441-4364 or by email.

If you are unable to settle your complaint amicably, you can seek compensation against the relevant business or professional by filing a small claims case at the Boulder County Combined Courts. To make inquiries on how to file a small claims case, you can contact the Boulder County Court Resource Center by email or at (303) 441-4741. Note that small claims cases filed with this court involve claims of $7,500 or less. Although you do not need attorney representation in small claims proceedings, it is advisable to consult an attorney for legal advice before filing a small claims case.