Get Quotes from Top Painters in Denver, CO
Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Painter in the City of Denver
It is essential to hire qualified and experienced painters when undertaking painting-related projects in the City of Denver. Doing this not only has the potential to add to the total sale value of your home but also protects you from the numerous hazards associated with painting. These include exposure to dangerous substances like lead, which was a common component of paints used in homes and property built before 1978. When in search of a painter in the City of Denver, you should ask the following questions to determine the competency of your contractor:
- Are You Licensed to Practice as a Painter in the City of Denver?
- How Much Do You Charge Compared to Other Painters in the City of Denver?
- What Kind of Painting Services Do You Offer?
- Do You Carry the Necessary Insurance Policy for Painters in the City of Denver?
- How to File a Complaint Against a Bad Painter in the City of Denver
Painters in Denver are typically required to obtain a general contractor's license before providing their services to residents of the city. General contractor licensing is handled by the Denver Community Planning and Development Division and painters can obtain one of the three types of general contractor license categories that this office provides. These categories are:
- Class A license: this allows the contractor to repair or remodel any type of residential and commercial structure.
- Class B license: this class of license permits the contractor to work on commercial buildings and multi-unit residences under three stories.
- Class C license: contractors with Class C licenses can work on residential properties that are two stories and below.
Note that painters that wish to obtain these licenses will be required to prove knowledge of the 2006 International Building Code by passing a licensing examination. Also, before the painter can apply for the general contractor's license, they must first obtain a Construction Supervisor Certificate or employ someone who already holds the certificate to supervise the painting project. The Denver Community Planning and Development Division also handles the issuing of certificates in the city. Similar to the general contractor licenses, there are also several categories of Construction Supervisor Certificates, and painters that wish to obtain them must equally meet certain requirements:
- Class A certificate: the applicant must have obtained at least seven years of experience as a Field Engineer or General Superintendent in the construction sector.
- Class B certificate: the applicant must have a minimum of four years of experience as a Field Engineer or General Superintendent in the construction sector.
- Class C certificate: The applicant must have at least two years of building-related experience.
Note that the three certificate categories require proof of work experience and the contractor is not permitted to apply for the general contractor's license until the Construction Supervisor Certificate has been approved.
After the Construction Supervisor Certificate has been approved and obtained, the painter can apply for the general contractor's license by filing a contractor license application form. The license application form can be submitted via mail to the Community Planning and Development Division at:Community Planning and DevelopmentAttention: Contractor Licensing
201 W. Colfax Avenue
Department 205Denver, CO 80202
The completed form can also be submitted online using the e-permit portal provided by the Denver Permitting and Licensing Center or in person at:Wellington Webb Municipal Office
201 W. Colfax Avenue
Denver, CO 80202
You can verify the authenticity of your contractor's license by utilizing the license search portal provided by the Denver Community Planning and Development Division for this purpose. License-related queries can also be directed to this division at (720) 865-2915.
Painters in the City of Denver typically charge either hourly or flat fees for the services they offer, and factors like the size of the area to be painted, the amount of work to be done and the cost of materials affect these fees. Nevertheless, it is always a good idea to ask for cost estimates from multiple sources when in the need of the services of a painter before settling for the most suitable one.
The table below provides the hourly mean wage of painters in Denver and compares this with the wages of painters in other parts of Colorado and several other major cities in the United States:
What Kind of Painting Services Do You Offer?
Painters in the City of Denver offer various services, which include interior painting, exterior painting, deck, and fence painting, and garage floor painting. Therefore, it is important to find out the area of specialization of your painter before signing any form of contract with them. Also, even though permits are not typically necessary for painting projects, you should make sure that the painter has to be certified by the EPA to ensure that the paint job is lead-safe, especially if your home was built before 1978. After getting a licensed and certified painter, you need to find out how much your specific project would cost. The cost estimates of some common painting services in Denver are listed below:
In 2020 alone, over 1,600 work-related injuries were recorded amongst painters across the United States. Considering this fact, you should ensure that you hire a painter that has a general liability plan to cover any form of injury or accident that may arise on your work site. Hiring an insured painter will save you from the financial burden that may arise in the event of an accident on your project site. Denver painters are generally required to show proof of liability insurance coverage before they can obtain a general contractor's license. Nonetheless, you should always ask your preferred painter for proof of insurance coverage and verify this by contacting the issuing insurance company to authenticate it. Note that any contractor in Denver that has at least one employee must obtain workers' compensation insurance for their employees from the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment (DLE). You can get more information on the requirements of this workers' compensation insurance coverage by contacting the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment via phone number (303) 318-9000 or in person at:Colorado Department of Labor and Employment
633, 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202-3660
In 2019, it was reported that a contractor has fraudulently obtained $180,000 from a Denver family by collecting this payment for a home improvement job and disappearing without completing the project. As a project owner, it is your duty to be on the lookout for scammers, especially when the amount of money that is usually spent on home improvement projects is taken into consideration. Some common signs that you may be dealing with an unethical and possibly fraudulent painter in the City of Denver include:
- The painter requests a cash-only payment
- The painter cannot provide proof of a license
- The painter requests a large down payment
- The painter makes unsolicited visits offering unrealistic discounts
- The painter requests and insists on full payment before completion of the job
You can avoid falling for these scams by doing the following:
- Using the license search portal to confirm the painter's licensing status
- Request proof of insurance coverage and verify its validity by contacting the issuing insurance company
- Avoid making a full payment until the project is completed to satisfaction
- Request for a proper contract and ensure you understand the terms and conditions before signing
- Avoid making a large up-front payment
- Ensure you ask for quotes from two to three painters before choosing one.
If you suspect that you've been contacted by a fraudulent painter, you can report the matter to the Denver Police Department at:1331 Cherokee Street
Denver, CO 80204
Phone: (720) 713-2000
You can also report fraudulent painters to the Denver Community Planning and Development Department by calling (720) 865-2770. Similarly, you can report an unethical painter to the Denver Attorney General's Office by utilizing its complaint form or by contacting this office in person at:Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Protection Section
Colorado Department of Law
Ralph L. Carr Judicial Building
Denver, CO 80203