Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Fort Collins, CO

How to Verify a Professional's License in Fort Collins?

The Colorado Division of Professions and Occupations issues over 30 types of licenses to eligible professionals in Fort Collins. In addition to obtaining the state-issued licenses, building professionals like general contractors, master electricians, master plumbers, and specialized trade contractors must also obtain licenses from the Fort Collins Contractor Licensing Office of the Fort Collins Department of Building Services. You must ensure that the professionals you plan to hire have obtained the relevant professional licenses at the state and city levels. You can verify professionals' licensing status via the online search portal provided by the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies. Likewise, you can contact the city's Licensing Department at (970) 224-6165 or via email to confirm that your intended professionals have a city-issued license.

Also, before you commence work on some types of projects in the city, you may be required to obtain requisite city-issued permits. For example, if your projects involve building-related activities, you will need to apply to the Fort Collins Department of Building Services for your requisite permits. You can contact the city's Department of Building Services at (970) 221-6760 or via email to get clarification on the city's permitting requirements and procedures. You can also visit this office for assistance regarding the city's permit process during regular business hours of 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. & 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays at:

  • 281 N College
  • Fort Collins, CO 80524
Colorado Contractor License Search:

Do Fort Collins Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, the Fort Collins Department of Neighborhood Services does not issue permits for any intended projects within the city. The Department of Neighborhood Services facilitates neighborhood meetings that improve the interaction between the community members. The different neighborhoods benefit from the various programs afforded by these Neighborhood Services, which helps enhance the quality of life within the neighborhoods. For instance, the Department of Neighborhood Services provides access to a free and confidential Community Mediation Program to help Fort Collins residents resolve conflicts without the need for a formal legal process. Volunteer mediators help resolve disputes civilly and respectfully in a way that ensures a mutually beneficial solution for all parties. Similarly, the Department of Neighborhood Services encourages neighborhoods and the community members to engage in community projects that promote favorable neighborhoods and community improvement by providing financial assistance through mini-grants. For example, the Puertas Abiertas got a grant and was able to host an open house for their Latinx Program, where they gave out 21 free helmets and 12 kids' bicycles. You can contact the Department of Neighborhood Services at (970) 224-6046 or via email for more relevant information about their goals for the communities.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Fort Collins?

The Colorado Attorney General's Office is responsible for investigating and prosecuting consumer complaints in Fort Collins. Residents of Fort Collins can file complaints relating to deceptive business practices with this office by completing an online complaint form. The online platform allows you to upload copies of relevant documents that can prove your case. Before you file your complaint, you can use the available online information provided by the Attorney General's Office to guide you through the filing process.

Note that the Attorney General's Office does not have the authorization to offer you legal advice or prosecute private legal actions against the subject of your complaint. Instead, you can retain the services of a lawyer who can advise you on what cause of action you can institute in court. You can use the find a lawyer portal maintained by the Larimer County Bar Association to get referrals to qualified lawyers practicing in Lakewood. The Larimer County Bar Association also has a pro bono service that provides legal services to low-income residents in Lakewood, and interested parties can access this service by completing an application form and submitting the completed form via email.

Finally, in situations where the amount in dispute is not more than $7500, you can file a small claims action without a lawyer at the Larimer County Court located at:

  • Larimer County Justice Center
  • 201 LaPorte Avenue
  • Suite 100
  • Fort Collins, CO 80521

The Colorado Judicial Help Center provides interested parties with online access to information and resources that you can use to learn how to proceed with your claim.