Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Lakewood, CO

How to Verify a Professional's License in Lakewood?

Professionals in Lakewood must obtain licenses at both the state and city levels, depending on the nature of their professions. More than 30 types of professionals in Lakewood are issued licenses at the state level by the Colorado Division of Professions and Occupations. These professionals include landscape architects, plumbers, and engineers. Similarly, building professionals like homeowners and general contractors must obtain city-issued licenses from the Contractor Registration Office of the Lakewood Public Works Department. Before hiring professionals in Lakewood, you must ensure that the appropriate licensing agencies have duly licensed such professionals. You can verify the licensing status of professionals at both the state and city levels by using the online search portal provided by the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies and by sending an email to the city's Public Work Department, respectively.

Lakewood Public Works Department also issues permits for projects involving construction and other building-related activities in the city through its Building and Construction Permits Office. For questions relating to the city's permit requirement and procedures for your planned projects, you can contact the Department at (303) 987-7500, or you can visit the physical location of the office at:

  • 470 S. Allison Parkway
  • Lakewood, CO 80226
Colorado Contractor License Search:

Do Lakewood Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, registered community organizations in Lakewood cannot issue permits to the city's residents. However, the city notifies these registered community organizations about rezonings and special-use permits requests within their neighborhoods. These registered community organizations are made up of several neighborhood associations, homeowners associations, and business organizations that play active roles in the operation of the neighborhoods.

Lakewood community organizations generally work together to improve the life quality of their communities through various programs and projects. For instance, one of the projects embarked on by the Lake Lochwood Village neighborhood in 2021 involved environmental stewardship & sustainable landscapes, which they achieved through workshops on native landscaping, harmful pesticides, and tours of others' gardens. The workshops' goal was to give the community members a better understanding of the surrounding habitats & water quality and enhance the neighborhood's environmental quality. Similarly, in 2020, the Eiber Neighborhood Association (ENA) endorsed special use permits requests for two indoor storage units on Colfax, at Holland St and Iris St, after adopting the position that no more than these two storage facilities should be permitted in the area. The two development projects also received support from residents in the area. To get information about the relevant registered community organizations within your neighborhood, you can use the city's registered community organizations map.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Lakewood?

The Colorado Attorney General's Office is charged with the duty of protecting residents of Lakewood City from the deceptive and unfair practices of professionals and businesses. You can file unfair business complaints with the Attorney General's Office by completing an online complaint form. It is advisable for you to upload copies of relevant documents like receipts and other transactional evidence between you and the professional or business to prove your case. You can use the online information provided by the Attorney General's Office for guidance when filing a complaint.

Typically, the Attorney General's Office will review and investigate your complaint before taking any action. However, this office cannot offer you legal advice or represent you in a private legal action. To pursue a private legal action, you can retain the services of a private attorney, and you can get a Lakewood attorney by using the find a lawyer directory maintained by the First Judicial District Bar Association. Your attorney will advise you on the available legal options, such as instituting a civil action at the Colorado 1st Judicial District - Jefferson County Combined Court, which has jurisdiction over civil matters in Lakewood.