Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Westminster, CO

How to Verify a Professional's License in Westminster?

When you want to embark on a project in Westminster, you should ensure that any professional you hire is duly licensed. This is because most licensing bodies make sure that the professionals licensed under them meet basic requirements and are properly qualified to carry out the roles for which they have been licensed. The Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies' Division of Professions and Occupations regulates professionals in Westminster through 55 different boards and programs. You can verify if a professional you intend to hire is licensed through the online License Lookup page provided by the Division of Professions and Occupations. Take note that certain professionals may need to get additional locally-issued licenses to carry out work in Westminster. For example, contractors are required to obtain a license from the Westminster Department of Community Development before performing any jobs in the city. If you have any inquiries regarding locally licensed professionals or verify the licenses of these professionals, you can call the Community Development Department at (303) 658-2075.

Finally, if the project you intend to embark upon involves the building of a new structure, home improvements, construction, and other similar types of work, you might need to obtain a building permit before you can proceed. Building permits are issued by the Westminster Building Division and you can call the Division at (303) 658-2075 to make permit-related inquiries.

Colorado Contractor License Search:

Do Westminster Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, neighborhood organizations and associations in Westminster do not have the authority to issue permits of any kind to residents or businesses within the city. These organizations are volunteer organizations whose members come together to support and drive government initiatives that would be beneficial to their neighborhoods and the city as a whole. These neighborhood associations were particularly helpful in bringing the government to notice the plight of residents following the COVID-19 pandemic and the losses that different businesses and the city suffered. As a result of their activities, the city has instituted several beneficial projects, especially in the downtown area. For example, the city expects the completion of a new hotel, new retail stores, and new apartments to be completed and ready for use by the first half of the year, especially a 226 unit apartment complex that will include 10 townhomes, and over 170 one and two-bedroom units. Likewise in October 2021, construction began on a new bikeway connection just under Sheridan Boulevard. The project will also include improvement to Sheridan Boulevard and is to be completed in 2023.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Westminster?

If you have been the victim of fraud, unfair business practices or have any other complaints against a business or a professional in Westminster, you can file a complaint through the Office of the Colorado Attorney General or the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA). Complaints that are made to DORA should be in relation to individuals or businesses that are licensed under a board or program under it. You can file your complaint online using the department's online services portal. Note that while these complaints can be filed without creating an account, you will need to create one if you intend to track your filed complaint. After your complaint is made, it is reviewed to determine if there has been a violation, following which it may either be dismissed, referred to the appropriate board for resolution, or referred to the Department of Regulatory Agencies' Office of Investigations.

Alternatively, you can file your complaint with the Office of the Colorado Attorney General online. However, it should be noted that even though the Attorney General's Office handles a wide variety of complaints, it cannot compel the party complained against to respond to or resolve the issue complained about. In certain circumstances, this office may take legal action against the business in question, but this is always done in the interest of the public, and the Attorney General's Office cannot serve as your private attorney or provide you with legal advice. If you are unsatisfied with the outcome of the complaint process from either the AG's office or the DORA, you can proceed to an Adams County Courthouse or a Jefferson County Courthouse to file a private lawsuit against the erring business.